AUSTRALIA SEMESTER: RAINFOREST TO REEF
- Terms: Fall, Spring
- Credits: 16 semester-hour credits
- Prerequisites: One semester of college-level ecology, biology, or environmental studies/science; 18 years of age
- Application Deadline: Rolling admissions. Early applications encouraged
- Financial Aid: All accepted students can apply for need-based scholarships, grants, and loans
Immerse yourself in the rich biodiversity of the rainforest and learn about ecological resilience in the face of climate change and other environmental threats. Connect rainforest management and conservation issues with downstream impacts on the Great Barrier Reef. Become a part of largescale restoration ecology experiments and study environmental policy and community conservation approaches while developing skills in field research and data collection.
- Explore the world’s oldest rainforest – the Daintree – then work alongside citizen volunteers to regenerate critical rainforest habitats.
- Travel to the Great Barrier Reef to learn about the biological links between rainforest and reef ecosystems.
- Head out of the rainforest to the edge of the Outback and explore the region’s savanna ecosystems and vast limestone caves.
THE FIELD STATION:
Students live and study at the SFS Center for Rainforest Studies. Our Center lies at the end of a narrow, winding road, in the middle of a lush rainforest. The 153-acre property is surrounded by protected World Heritage forests, and comes alive at night with the sounds of wildlife. The nearby town of Yungaburra and city of Cairns provide the occasional return to civilization.
- Climate change resilience
- Habitat restoration
- Marsupial behavior
- Aboriginal ecotourism
- Post-logging forest recovery
- Forest ecotones
- Species identification and population monitoring
- Forest survey methods
- Research design
- Data collection
- Scientific writing and presentation
CONNECT WITH SFS
Visit the SFS website
Call the Admissions Hotline at 800.989.4418
Read updates from the field on the SFS Blog
Follow SFS on Instagram
Watch student videos on YouTube