"I don't see what I'm looking for."
SMU Abroad has over 150 programs in over 50 countries. Still, occasionally, a student may not see a program on our approved list that fits their goals for study abroad. We are committed to helping students participate in enriching experiences, academically and culturally, so we've implemented an open door policy with our approved providers.
Open Door Program Policy
Students may request approval to participate in programs that are not on our list, as long as the program:
This application will require the student to submit a statement to Dr. Cathy Winnie, Director of Education Abroad, that demonstrates that:
- Is a semester or academic year program.
- Is offered by one of our approved providers (see list below).
- Has been discussed with an SMU Abroad program specialist.
- Cori Hill (firstname.lastname@example.org) - Dedman, Simmons, undeclared students
- Lea Sarodjo (email@example.com) - Cox, Lyle, Meadows, and pre-Cox students
- Has been discussed with the student's academic advisor.
- The student has researched the program and can explain the academic, personal, and/or professional benefits to the student.
- The student has discussed the program with his/her SMU Abroad program specialist and his/her academic advisor.
- Is different from other programs we offer (if we offer any similar programs)
Important note: Aside from the personal statement, this application is identical to the one you will complete for your program. If your program is approved, this will serve as the application. If your program is not approved (or you change your mind), and you wish to study on another program, we can also transfer this application for you.
For your convenience and ours, please do not withdraw this application to open another.
Instead, contact us to make the necessary changes.